Tuesday, August 25, 2015

More sewing and crochet - it's been a busy week.

Curtain fabric remnant
The past week has been busy - first, I managed to wash and iron a couple of pieces of fabric I found in the remnants section of Shufflebotham's in Macclesfield. This first piece will eventually become a jacket. Not sure yet whether it will be a blazer or a more fitted and lined jacket. At the moment I plan to make the latter. I do have a lovely pattern, but will need to find it first.

Remnant of silk
This delightful piece of fabric just had to come home with me from the same remnants section. It is a sheer blouse weight, so will need to be fully lined. It just asked to come home with me.............

If you do get the chance to visit Macclesfield, then this shop is well worth a visit. One of those wonderful shops which are getting rather rare these days. It is full of gorgeous fabrics, has an amazing remnants section and has really helpful staff.

An old curtain makes a useful zipped bag
I found myself making a zipped bag for some blinds. A very quick job. The old curtain was in my stash. It was a find from a charity shop many months ago and had been destined for shopping bags. This will be so much more useful. The original container for these blinds was a rather nasty battered plastic bag.


Completed oven gloves
I started these last week and managed to get them finished a couple of days ago. Two squares of Insul-bright quilted inside some quilting cotton, edged with tape. There is a gap for my hand to fit inside the "sandwich". It will be interesting to see how well this works. There are two which is why I think of them as oven gloves rather than pot holders.

Reverse side
Lastly, the reason I ventured into Shufflebotham's in the first place. My new piano stool. This was a very lucky find in an auction when we were in Tring some weeks back. Constructed in the 1930's it was rather a mess when we first saw it. My husband has stripped it down completely and rebuilt it. I just added the finishing touch, the upholstered top.

Piano stool
There is a lot of polyester filling and some old polyester wadding which I really didn't want to use for a quilt - it was rather nasty, but perfect for this task.

Fabric and detail of the wood
So comfy now and just the right height. It is nice not to have to use one of the diningroom chairs. I always had to add a couple of cushions to be able to sit at the right height. Now I must stop looking at my new seat, and start using it.

Cushion cover in progress
I posted a photo of this project a little while ago. There are now 24 different designs of the hexagons. I have made two of each and so have a total of 48 completed. Just another 14 pairs to crochet.

Some of the completed hexagons

No comments: